Unwin, Mary Born Mary Cawthorne in Downham on 21 July 1723. She was married to the Rev. Morley Unwin when William Cowper, who wrote such hymns as" God moves in a Mysterious Way " came to stay as a house guest. When the Rev. Unwin was killed in a riding accident, she moved with her daughter, with Cowper to Olney, in Northants., as companion. He was a manic-depressive, but Mary was able to bring him out of his dark moods and was rewarded by being made his heir. She died in 1796. From a portrait, probably by Henry Robinson, after Arthur Devis, about 1750.
More from this category
- 'Organs & Bygones' visitor, organ builder Alan Pell, in front of one of his constructions.
- Canon Thornton, Rector of Little Downham
- Centenarian Alice Crane.
- Conversion from school to Village Hall.
- Emily Gilbert carrying on the Family Tradition of Stilt Walking at the Little Downham Village Fete.
- End of an Era.
- Fraser Gilbert playing air guitar and wowing the crowds at Little Downham Village Fete.
- Funeral of Derick Last
- Jefferson, Walter
- Local carter in Main Street, Little Downham.
- Miss Elsie Martin
- Miss Elsie Martin Obituary.
- Pitchpenny at the Plough, Little Downham.. Pitchpenny
- RSM Ernest John 'Jack' Leaford
- Saberton, Arthur. Blacksmith, at his forge, Main Street, Little Downham.. The Saberton forge was on the North side of Main street,..
- Travelling Salesman
- Unwin, Mary (nee Cawthorne) . Unwin, Mary Born Mary Cawthorne in Downham on 21 July..
These are the most popular keywords used on the site. The more popular the keyword, the bigger the font size.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.