The Old George & Dragon, 6 Townsend.
6 Townsend was built in the late 19th century as a Public House, the “George and Dragon”. It was bought in 1936, by a Mrs. Emma Granfield, a condition of the sale by the brewery, Cutlack and Harlock, that it would only be used as a private house.
Originally, only the front half of the house had a second story, the rear part being a single story ‘lean-to’ with a steeply pitched roof. This ‘2+1’ side elevation is a common characteristic of fenland houses.
In 1990 the house was ‘squared off’ by building a rear second story. The area added, and hence the shape of the original house, can just be discerned as a darker area at the foot of the tall chimney.
Date of coverage01/07/2005-31/07/2005
- No categories