Between October 1916 and November 1918, a small military landing strip existing at Downham to house fighter aircraft intended to afford protection against zeppelin raids. The exact location of the field is uncertain: local lore places it where the recreation ground is now located, while the 'Airfields of Britain, conservation trust places it to the west of Tower Road.
( http://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/airfield-finder/little-downham-tower-farm )
It is believed that biplanes of 115 squadron were stationed here. By an interesting coincidence, the squadron was disbanded at the end of WW1 but the squadron number re-appeared as a Lancaster squadron flying from RAF Mepal.